Colored pencils make up an essential part of any artist and pupils’ life. Lying there with their pretty colors, you can make your imagination wild. They are used for drawing, coloring in, writing and a must have for all kids attending school. However, with the latest brands available on the market, which one should you choose? Good question since the first appearance of this fascinating item way back in the 19th century created by Faber-Castell has grown immensely.
Therefore, if you are not sure which brand to choose, we hope that you can find a suitable one in our editor’s choice of the top 10 best colored pencils sold today!
The Important Part That Colored Pencils Play Today
Colored pencils consist of a colored pigment core that has a protective casing normally made of wood. You can buy different standard pencils that have a core of graphite & clay. The core is made of wax and manufacturers add additives and pigments with binding agents producing the most astonishing colors.
You can buy from oil-based, mechanical to water-soluble ones and this all came into being with one person known as Johann Sebastian Staedtler who invented the pastel pencil way back in 1834. The first ever production of colored pencils was used in the 20th century only for art.
The first production of these amazing stationary tools came into creation by Faber-Castell in 1924. There have been many other manufacturers ever since. You can buy different types of pencils from artist-grade ones, student grade pencils and so much more. The artist-grade pencil consists of a high-quality pigment than your normal student-grade ones.
While the student-grade pencils have, a pigment and kids use it for coloring in and making sketches at school. Then you have the mechanical ones that consist of colored lead that you can refill. With colored pencils, you can draw, do coloring, and write. Stay a little longer and find the best-colored pencil available to suit your delicate art needs.
Review of the Best Colored Pencils in 2017
1. Faber-Castell Albrecht Dϋrer Watercolor Pencils
When you look at the Faber-Castell Albrecht Dϋrer Watercolor Pencil range, they are strictly speaking not actually pencils as they are water-soluble. Compared to wax colored pencils they do not give you waterproof security but have an amazing color range for blending and works well with water.
What do you get?
When you buy the Faber-Castell Albrecht Dϋrer Watercolor Pencil, you receive a set of 120 colorful pencils in a tin. The pencils have highly pigmented leads of 3.3mm and SV-bonded to prevent them from breaking. The design of the pencil is triangular and gives you a smooth color lay down.
For what do you use them?
The colored pencils are suitable for drawing, painting, and works great when blended with water giving your artwork a color effect.
- You receive a set of 120 watercolor pencils
- Has an ergonomic shape and it’s triangular shaped
- The lead is 3.3mm thick and SV-Bonded to prevent the lead from breaking
- The color lay down is smooth
- One client did not like the metallic colors as they work well dry and found once you wet them with water the color fades, for example, the silver looks gray
- Great to use for layering
- Not messy when used
- They moisten easily with water and is not messy to use
- They even work well when you use them dry
- The tin is great and keeps your pencils together in one place
- The trays removes easily
- A bargain when you buy them online
2. Prismacolor Softcore Colored Pencils
The Prismacolor Softcore colored pencils you can buy in sets of 29, 48, 72, 132, and 150. You can even buy them in Coloring Starter Kits, only the colored pencils and a set of colored pencils and a sharpener.
What makes these colored pencils so unique?
You can buy them in a tin or even loose to replace the colors you have used up. They have the most amazing colors available and can even buy them in Manga colors to make your anime artwork stand out. The pencils made from high-quality pigment and do not feel dry or scratchy when used.
How do you use these pencils?
The Prismacolor Softcore colored pencils used by artists and students as they layer and blend easily. Use them for creating serious masterpieces of art why because of the professional grade material used to make them. The core is thick, soft, and great for shading.
- The pencil is suitable for making shadows and perfect for shading
- Available in Lightfast drenched pigment colors
- Using them for color lay down is ultra-smooth
- The leads robust and helps to prevent cracking or chipping
- Minor complaints of the lead shattering
- The design is round and gives you less control when using the pencil
- Has no friction coating to give you a great grip when holding them in your hand
- Smooth and silky when used
- Gives you a rich lay down of colors to use
- Little smearing when used
- Great blending
- Wide range of colors available
3. Staedtler Ergosoft
The Staedtler Ergosoft color pencil sets are unique. They have a triangular shape and for reinforcement, they have an A.B.S protective coating. Compared to the other selections available this one is a bit more expensive and you can buy them in sets of 12 to 36 pencils.
They are durable
This colored pencil shines as it has a 3mm lead with ergo soft, non-slip grip and coated for a long lasting effect while used. The pencils triangular shaped and you receive it, in a stand-up box, keeping the pencils together in one place.
They are visually appealing
When you read the hundreds of best-colored pencil reviews online, you notice that customers are more than pleased with this product. They are visual appealing and flow smoothly over the paper. You do not need pressure when using them, as the colors are deep. You cannot use them in water so will have to find other ways of blending them. The colored pencil sets suitable for students and artists.
- Carries a wide selection of brilliant colors
- The pencil has an Ergosoft non-slip design for ease of grip
- The design of the colored pencil is triangular
- It has .3mm soft break resistant lead
- Available in a stand-up easel case
- Lacks some color options
- The weakest color in the set is the white colored pencil
- Blends easily
- Has durable and sturdy lead
- Sharpens well without breaking
- You do not need to press hard for the colors to stand out
- The colors are vibrant
- Great for the beginner artist
- Has a great stand-up box
4. The Fantasia Colored Pencil Assortment
Fantasia is a typical colored pencil made by an Indonesian company that you can buy in sets of 12 -36. They advertise them to use for great color blending and has a medium to hard wax content with a hexagonal outer wood shell.
What do you get?
When you buy the Fantasia Colored Pencils, you receive a durable pencil with a medium to a hard wax core. They are easy to sharpen and feel great when held in your hand. Even the different colors available in the set mix well. Moreover, for a great grip and control over the pencil it has a hexagonal exterior. The colored pencils neatly packed in a case with a blue exterior base.
Who can use the Fantasia Set?
If you are a beginner or intermediate art user these pencils give you a great selection of colors. Compared to some of the other more popular brands this one can still keep up with its soft wax. They are great for shading, detail work, and blend well.
- The lead is extra thick and blends easily
- Has a wide range of colors included in the metal tin box
- Great for blending and shading and gives you a soft, scratch free application when used
- The color names are not printed on the barrel
- Made for students and not artist quality
- Great for blending and shading with the soft core
- No breakage of the lead
- Sharpen well
- Holds the point well and does not crumble when you use them
- The tin packaging is superb
- Great to use in a coloring book
5. Sargent Art Coloring Pencils
For the beginner, the Sargent Art coloring pencils have a superb price point. You can buy them in sets of 12 – 56 with a wide selection of colors in them. They are suitable for aged 3, up, and can handle some abuse.
Durable and Lasts Long
If you have a toddler, you have no need of worrying about the pencils breaking, especially when pressures added. They may not be suitable for blending but great for scholars. The 3mm wax cores wrapped with a round outer wood shell. Moreover, you need to take care when sharpening them as breaking can happen. You receive the pencils in a cardboard box but do not give them enough protection.
For Whom is the Sargent Art Made
When you buy the Sargent Art set, you get some accurate colors in them. They are not suitable for blending and some students complained that using the different pencil colors vary from each other and feel a bit chalky. The pencils are Agriculture Biologique Certified.
- Suitable for ages three and older
- The lead is 3.3mm thick
- Has a wide selection of subtle colors
- Has a color coordinated barrel
- The pencil is AP certified
- Has a so-so force when used
- Not suitable for blending
- Needs some pressure when used
- Has a pretty good color accuracy
- You get a nice variety of colors
- Excellent price
- The barrels, solid for sharpening with a traditional sharpener
- Has hard conical points
- Adequate amount of earth and natural toned colors
6. Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencils
The Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencils is a lower-end product made for the beginner. The pencil’s made from soft wax and teaches kids to apply the correct pressure when blending. You can buy these pencils in sets of 12 – 60 with some great colors available in them.
Suitable for heavy-pressure abuse
For the scholar, the Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencil has an overall hard core that can withstand abuse from kids. They are great to sharpen and are less prone to fall apart. Blending with these color pencils is not easy and gets a bit waxy. When you buy the sets, you receive the pencils in a plastic stand-up easel packaging and do not give the pencil much security. You can easily differentiate between the colors as they have matching exteriors with stamping on them.
Suitable for Scholars only
The colored pencils suitable for scholars and only has some vivid colors to choose. There have been some minor complaints that it gives a waxy layer when used and makes blending difficult.
- The Prismacolor Scholars designed for crafters and beginner artist
- The pencil has a smooth soft lead for different purposes
- Great to use for blending and shading
- The core is hardened to prevent the lead from breaking
- Has a vibrant selection of colors from blue right through to violet
- The packaging is not good but offers you a lower price to start your students with
- The blending colors could be better
- They are durable
- No problems sharpening or broken tips
- Gives you rich colors with deep colors
- Suitable for students and professionals
7. Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set
For a best seller, the Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set has everything you need to create a masterpiece. The portable design of the case is superb and folds into a carry case.
What do you receive when buying the Darice?
The 80-Piece Darice Deluxe Art Set is suitable for teenagers and adults to become creative and consists of watercolor paints, colored pencils and oil pastels. There are even some paintbrushes in the set.
Supplies for all your drawing and paint artwork
As a gift, the Darice Deluxe Art Set is perfect for the budding artist and comes in a lightweight wooden box. The box has a snap-shut handle for ease of carrying. As mentioned the kit has watercolors, oil pastels, color pencils, wax crayons, eraser, ruler, scissors, paintbrushes, sharpener, and glue stick in it. The only concern is that there have been many complaints from users advising that the kit have poor quality items in it.
- The art set is made up of 80-pieces that include color pencils, paintbrushes, pencils, watercolor paints, oil pastels and more
- Suitable for drawing and painting
- You receive it in a portable case with snap-shut handle
- Not suitable for under 3-year-olds
- Packed with poor quality supplies
- Some dried up colors
- Not made for the professional
- Has different art accessories in the kit
- Suitable for the beginner
- Has a variety of colors with different accessories
- The wooden box is sturdy with a snap handle
- And lightweight to carry around with you
8. The Marco Raffine Colored Pencils
For a set of budget-friendly pencils, you can look at the Marco Raffine Colored Pencil sets made in China. Yes, China and the best thing is that they are environmentally friendly. You can buy the colored pencils in a set of 72 at an affordable price.
What do you get?
When you buy the Marco Raffine Colored Pencil set, you receive it in a cardboard box and best to find an alternative packaging option to keep them safe. You will also note that they pencils are squished in like little sardines. In the box, you get quite a wide selection of colors to use and works well on printer paper. They give you three different skin tone colors and a great selection of browns to darker colors.
The Marco Raffine is suitable for shading and blending and sharpens well while keeping a nice fine point when used. For the beginner to the professional, this set of colored pencils is great, especially if you do have a tight budget.
- The colored pencils environmentally friendly
- Suitable for writing, drawing, and sketching
- The tip is strong and helps to prevent breakage
- Suitable for aged 3 and up and made from wood
- The pencils do not shade well with oil pastels
- Sharpens well
- Has strong lead
9. Colore Colored Pencils
For the aspiring and professional artist, the Colore Colored Pencils uniquely designed and pre-sharpened with coded color identification. Included in the 72 set you even have skin toned pencil colors available.
Who should buy the Colore Colored Pencils
If you have a boy or girl, who enjoys drawing the Colore Colored Pencil set makes a great addition to their school supplies. They are even suitable for grownups that enjoy coloring in.
A durable pencil set
Each pencil in the set has a high-quality core with an excellent blend of colors. The pencils suitable for a wide range of artwork from coloring pages, learning about the rainbow colors, office use, drawing, layering, blending and more. The other great thing is that the color pencil set carries a no hassle money back & satisfaction guarantee.
- The Colore Colored Pencils has different vibrant colors available in a pack of 72
- Each pencil comes pre-sharpened and is color coded
- Suitable for drawing, sketching, and coloring in
- The pencil has a high-quality core with a natural wooden look
- Includes a satisfaction guarantee
- Does not come in a top-notch packaging
- Available in a subtle tint of shades
- The pencils are constructed well
- Have some vibrant colors to use and the pigments blend well
- Has a natural wood smell
- Has a high-end feel to them
- They sharpen well and do not break easily
- Great for shading and blending
- Nice slim design and affordably priced
10. The Ohuhu Colored Pencils
For good colors and price, the Ohuhu Colored Pencil range stands out. The Ohuhu is a clay-based graphite pencil that you can buy in sets of 48 and 72 with hexagonal barrels.
Usability and Presentation
The pencils are easy to use and have a stream less application. However, they do fall behind in the blending side compared to premium brands. You can buy the pencils in a round cardboard box or a tin case. Each pencil wrapped in a silver paint with the matching color found at the base. Each one has a color corresponding number stamped on the pencil but not the color name.
Best use for this color pencil
In the Ohuhu range, you have quite a wide selection of colors. The greens and silver stand out and when applied the color sticks. They are a bit on the waxy side but still feel creamy with great color intensity. For the young to the old artist, these are suitable for drawing and coloring in.
- The Ohuhu Colored Pencil is CE Authenticated and suitable for writing, sketching, and drawing
- Each pencil’s crafted with recycled wood and makes them non-toxic and environmentally friendly
- For coloring in the pencil gives you a smooth and high print effect
- You receive a set of 48 color pencils
- Only have color coding and no color names
- Some problems with sharpening the pencil
- Give you an array of colors
- Can shade easily with them
- No wax buildup
- Made according to the ASTM-D-4236 non-toxic standard
Whether you are a professional artist or need a set of coloring pencils for your kid, we are sure that you will find a suitable set in our top 10 best colored pencil review. Some of these sets are suitable for blending and shading while others are more suitable for writing and sketching. No matter what your preferences are, these colored pencils are affordable to buy and available in either cardboard box sets or metal tins.
The Top 10 Best Colored Pencils – choose your set now and start becoming creative with your next art project. We have a selection of the best affordable colored pencils for you to choose.
- Top 10 Best Interior Design Schools in Texas in 2017
- 10 Best Design Schools in Florida in 2017
- List of Interior Design Schools in New York City NYC