Japanese architects highly regard their natural environment. They masterfully utilize light to effectively enhance their architecture schools in Japan for designs. Natural materials are interwoven, generating a harmonious intermixture of structural building and landscape.
There are several Japanese architects who are world renown such as Kenzō Tange, the winner of the 1987 Pritzker Prize for architecture; Fumihiko Maki, the 1993 Pritzker Prize winner; Tadao Ando, a self-taught architect and winner of the 1995 Pritzker Prize; Kazuyo Sejima known for her orderly modernist designs and who won the Pritzker Prize in 2010 in conjunction with Ryue Nishizawa; and Shigeru Ban, the 2014 Pritzker Prize winner.
Architectural schools in Japan are as highly ranked, as the luminary Japanese architects above mentioned. Fumihiko Maki and Kenzō Tange are graduates of the University of Tokyo which hold 10th place in the international arena and 1st on the list of architectural schools in Japan.
Check this out to see: Best Drawing Lesson For Architecture In 2020
Top 10 Architecture Schools In Japan In 2021
The University of Tokyo referred to as Todai is a research university located in Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan. Furthermore, the university was chartered by the Meiji government in 1877 under its current name by amalgamating older government schools for medicine and Western learning. Previously, it was known as Imperial University and then Tokyo Imperial University before adopting its current name.
Osaka University was established as the 6th Imperial University of Japan in 1931. In 1949, Osaka University was recreated with five schools namely, the School of Letters, the School of Law and Economics, the School of Science, the School of Medicine, and the School of Engineering.
Kyoto Imperial University was founded in June 1897. In 1920 August the School of Architecture was founded with 3 departments. Over the years two other departments have been add. In 1953 the Master Program in the Department of Architecture started. Two years later the Doctor Program in the Department of Architecture was established.
In 1963 the Division of Architectural Design was established. However, the School of Architecture and the School of Architectural Engineering were combined and rearrange to form the Graduate School and the School of Architecture.
Tokyo Institute of Technology originated as the Tokyo Vocational School in 1881. The campus moved and there was a change of status to a degree conferring university in 1929. Twenty years later, the enactment of the National School Establishment Law promoted the reorganization of the Tokyo Institute of Technology. In 2004, the Tokyo Institute of Technology was re-establish as an independent administrative institution with the name “National University Corporation Tokyo Institute of Technology.”
In 1907 Tohoku University was established. It is located on the ancient site of Aoba Castle in Sendai City. It is the third oldest Imperial University in Japan and among the National Seven Universities. The Department of Architecture and Building Science offers students several courses and opportunities for advancement.
In 1871, after the Meiji Restoration, Nagoya Prefecture also referred to as the Nagoya Domain, established a medical school. Furthermore, Nagoya Imperial University was established with two schools, the School of Medicine and the School of Science and Engineering.
In 1942, the School of Science and Engineering was divided into the School of Science and the School of Engineering. However, during the world war, the university was damage. After the war, the university was restored and the name of the university was chang to Nagoya University.
In 1918, Hokkaido University became the 5th esteemed university in mainland Japan. The university was added to the league of seven Imperial Universities form by the Imperial Japanese government. However, it is a distinction that is still highly regarded today. In 1924 The School of Engineering was established. In 1947 Hokkaido Imperial University was renamed Hokkaido University.
The history of Kyushu University dates back to 1903 when Fukuoka Medical College was established as the foundation of Kyushu Imperial University. However, the college legally attached to Kyoto Imperial University at that time.
The College of Engineering of Kyushu Imperial University was established in January 1911. Furthermore, it produced its first graduates in 1914. However, in 1919 the College of Engineering was reorganized as the Faculty of Engineering.
In 1947, following national education reforms, Kyushu Imperial University was renamed Kyushu University. Since then, the faculty has continued to expand, in accordance with the community and students’ needs.
You might be interested in 10 Most Famous Works Of Tadao Ando Architects
Keio University was found in 1858. In 1899 Keio was Japan’s first private university to send students abroad: four to Germany, two to the United States. Furthermore, in 1906 graduate programs were offered to students. However, in 1981 the Faculty of Engineering was reorganized and expand as the Faculty of Science and Technology.
The architecture courses taught at the universities offer students an opportunity to explore topical architecture issues, as well as provide in-depth knowledge about the past and present traditions of Japan’s architecture.
Traditional homes and buildings were built from wood. Over the years, however, the architecture schools in Japan have changed to withstand natural disasters, as many buildings have been lost in wars, fires, and earthquakes. Currently, temples, castles shrines, palaces, and castles are being preserved and in some instances, reconstructed.
Japan is technologically advanced but still holds the country’s tradition. However, there is an inventive quality see in Japanese architecture that is revolutionary and innovative yet sensible
In 1975 the School of Art and Design was established within Tsukuba University. Furthermore, the School of Art and Design offers an undergraduate program of art and design in four fields and 15 study areas. However, one of the objectives of the Architectural Design program is to provide a venue for contemplating, researching, and investigating fundamental issues related to architecture.
Likewise, undergraduate and graduate courses taught at the architecture schools in Japan are practical, enriching, and encourage creativity. However, this is so, to ensure that the needs and goals of students are met to enable them to advance their illustrious careers and leave a wonderful legacy as other well-known Japanese architects.
Check out: Best Drawing Tablets For Artists
What Is an Architecture Major?
Are you looking to sturdy architecture major but still don’t know well about what it is? Here, you will get a shortcut of architecture major is. Architecture major is a type of science major which combining with some of arts as well. It may requires you to study mathematic, physics, drawing knowledge. You will need to study for an undergraduate degree at least 5 years to earn an architecture degree however in some countries you can also earn it in 4 years. Throughout your undergraduate degree, you will need to study about history of architecture, some theories of architecture and drawing on some latest software for an architect.
5 Reasons why u should become an Architect
- Higher income: First reason that is reliable and most people are aware of is that you will earn a higher income than choosing some other majors. Earning an architecture major will help you get a secure job with a
- High demand in job opportunity: Where developed and developing countries need architect to help participating in building and upgrade their infrastructure development. While needing a lot of skilled architect, then you may have high job opportunities from the country you are living in.
- Strong and challenging career: When you are working as an architect, you will work with challenging environment. And especially it is a solid career where you don’t need to worry about getting lost your job.
- Helping others: Architect can also help people as well. You work as a person who come with all design, plan and budget planning, and with all of these you like a consultant which you can give solution and suggestion to your customer.
- Expose to different skill: Being an architect, you will get to explore and expose to many different skills such as computer skills, drawing skill, creativity skill and presentation of your design. Therefore, it is great that you will get to work with many types areas and explore yourself with those of your skills. It is like sharpen your skills and talent even becoming better and better.
What You Need to Know About Becoming an Architecture Major
Before you make you decision in choosing to become an architecture major holder, you need to know all of these listed information in the first place.
- Time requirement and school fee: You need to spend 4 to 5 years to finish your bachelor degree in architecture. And the school fee is an information you need to know. School fee of architecture major is higher than some social science major do. You will also need to spend more money of your project working too.
- Specialized university: Thinking of choosing architecture major, you also need to know which university or colleges that is specialized in teaching this architecture major as well. Not all university are specialized in this major so you need to do research in your countries which university that is experienced in offering architecture degree professionally.
- Required courses and skills: During you 4 or 5 years in the school, your required courses are including some courses which are related to mathematics especially geometry, physics, statistic, some computer science related especially software for sketching and drawing your design. It will also includes some course that are related to art as well.
- Job opportunity: After earning your degree, you will most likely to get a job first. Therefore, you need to see the job market in your country for this architecture major. It is big market where you have more opportunity to get a job and with high salary.
- Challenging points: Growing in this architecture industry, you need to know that you face some challenging things in your career life. Firstly, you will need to high very high commitment in this industry since you will need to spend a lot of time to finish your project within your given deadline. Secondly, you have to be positive in getting criticism from your team leader or clients for your results. These are just a few examples of challenging that you will face in your career life.
How to Know if This Major Is the Right Fit for You
- Your skill and talent: Well, choosing this architecture major is might be right or wrong decision depending on yourself. Your talent and your subject preferences also help you to decide whether this major might be or might be not for you. Since this major will requires you to learn most of the science subject such as in mathematics like geometry, some from Physics and much of needed in creativity.
- Your desire: From the beginning of starting with architecture journey, you will get to spend much of your time studying, working on your assignment and projects to meet deadlines. That means you will need to spend most of your time with this major. Also even after you graduated you will still need to spend most time finishing your projects for your clients as well. Therefore, it depends on your desire whether you think it is what you like to do and work hard for earning high income which you need to deserve it.
- Your university budget spending: By going to university you need to spend your money on it. And the school fee is different depending on you chosen major. Some major require only a small amount of your money. But you will need to spend more money on some majors too. For example: Architecture major. Spending higher school fee is one thing but you also need to spend some additional of your money on buying school materials especially your architect materials.
Tips How to choose an architect university in Japan
Wonder how to choose the right university for your Architect major in Japan? Then here are the few tips that you are looking for:
- Comparing the study fee: Of course, different university will cost you different fee too. There are three types of universities in Japan including national university, public local university and private university. There are not much national university in Japan since national universities are all well known for its prestige. There are around 7 national universities in Japan to be known as the top university in Japan. However it doesn’t mean that those top national universities will charge you highest comparing to the other private universities. Some private universities actually charge higher than national universities does.
- Comparing location of the university: As you know that in Japan, there are many areas and regions located. Since the country is big therefore your living cost will differ from the area you live in as well. In short, you need to compare the living cost according to your chosen university in Japan.
- Comparing the ranking of the university: Not all national universities in Japan are the top ranking university. Some local public and private universities also in the top ranking university in Japan too. You can just do a quick search, then result will show you.
- Comparing the internationalization of the university: Being a foreign student in Japan might worry you somehow if you don’t speak Japanese. Then if you will do the major in English you will need to find out which university that offer all the courses in English. Moreover check whether the university that you apply for offer international system and programs for international students or not.
To sum up, before making your decision in choosing the architecture major you will need to consider with all of these tips. Since you may not have many chances to study your undergraduate degree. Most people have only one chance to choose what major they should pursue with. It costs you time, money, health spending on your 4 to 5 years for this major. So you need to consider it very hard. However with all of these tips, you will make a concrete decision that will never make you feel regret. Just go along with your what you feel with.